[ 07 March 2006 ]

HDTV, digital cable, Blu-Ray, and my pressing need for... what exactly?

In the past couple of weeks, I've started doing research into HDTV, LCD TV's, plasma TV's, digital cable, and other shiny(!) technologies. For a huge amount of money, I can get a new flat screen TV, digital cable, and new DVD player... and have absolutely nothing that I want. My biggest problem, hands down, is the fact that I do not want to pay $80+ per month for digital cable with HDTV server. Add in the fact that HDTV and my TiVo aren't going to get along very well until the Series 3 TiVo's come out (another pile of cash, I'm sure) and it's just another reason to not upgrade.

This whole scenario can be summed up as: I'm unimpressed.

TiVo is TV to me now. Not just a digital video recorder - TiVo. I've gotten very accustomed to my TiVo setup, complete with TiVoToGo, TV on my Treo thanks to TVHarmony, TiVo in my bedroom thanks to Radio Shack, and archiving to DVD. These features are more important to me than 1080p resolution, or just about anything else. I want my TV, my way. Whenever and wherever.

I could get digital cable now, without HDTV, and could even splurge on a flat screen TV in either LCD or plasma. However, I'd have to install a cable box - and I hate set-top boxes. Once again, TiVo Series 3, with its built in CableCard and HDTV tuners will eliminate the need for a cable box, but that is still months away, and won't be cheap.

I think that's the crux of my complaint - none of this is going to be simple or cheap. And I feel it's all unnecessary. What happens to my perfectly good analog 27in. TV in my den in 2009 when HDTV becomes the standard? I'll probably have to have a set top box to convert the digital signal to something the TV can use - and did I mention that I hate set top boxes?

And I haven't even started on Hi Def DVD players, be it Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Manufacturers have announced that retail Blu-Ray DVD's will sell for $29.99 for some titles and $39.99 for premium new release titles. What? $40 for a freaking movie? That is totally ridiculous. And how long before I'll have to buy a new DVD player? And what about the three I have now?

All in all, I'm frustrated by the evolution of home entertainment. I feel it's 'progress' for the sake of profit alone - in other words, a way to soak the consumer for every dollar the manufacturers and media companies can get.

And one day, I'll probably buy in. Damnit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home