[ 17 April 2006 ]

Quest for Better Mobile Email

My boss recently traded her Cingular Treo 600 in for a Alltel Treo 650. It's not the carrier I would have chosen, but we are limited by our University in what carriers we can choose.

Overall she likes the device, and since she was already a Treo user/fan, there was little or no learning curve. However, as most Treo 650 users are aware, the Achilles heel of that device is the built in mail app, Versamail. Overall, it's adequate, but in many ways, it sucks. She also expressed that she liked the way our Business Director's Blackberry got email instantly, rather than having to manually check the server with Versamail.

Ah, the need for push email.

As a result of this request, I've installed Chatter Email (www.chatteremail.com) on my Sprint Treo 650 as a way to test it out and see if it will meet our needs. So far, I'm impressed. I do have several reservations about the product, most notably in how it's going to impact my battery life. We use an IMAP mail server in our office, which supports the IDLE command, which allows Chatter to operate in a true 'push mode'.

It's pretty nice, and a heck of a lot simple to implement than a Blackberry/Exchange set up.

I'll post my complete impressions of the product here in the coming days as I evaluate it more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home